Monday, September 24, 2012

Hottie Police Officer



I had always been intrigued with the idea of becoming a police officer.  Not only did I like the idea of contributing to make my city a safer and better place to live, but I was fascinated with the occupation as a whole and could see it being a great fit for me.  However, the years ended up taking a different course, and I devoted my life to raising my children, and worked a regular (and safer) day job.  I finally decided to look into it more seriously a few years ago, however, when I realized that it was not too late to try to pursue this potential career path, as deep down, I always felt it had been a bit of an unrequited dream.

I submitted my application to the police department, wrote the written examinations and started training seriously for the physical tests.  I even went for two ride-alongs with the police, which were basically two full 12-hour shifts on which I accompanied two police officers, while wearing a police jacket, and got to truly experience “a day in the life” of a police officer.  There were so many exciting things that took place during those shifts, including a call for “gun shots fired”, a domestic violence call, a break and entry call, an arrest of a violent and hostile offender involving pepper spray, and even a high speed car chase that required police helicopter assistance.  I learned that, as a police officer, you just never know what your day at work is going to involve; you just know you have to be ready for anything.  I do believe I gained a better perspective on all that the police do, every day, to keep our city safe.

Although I ended up deciding that the career path of a police officer was not the right one for me, I am so grateful for the experiences I gained and all that I learned in my pursuit of exploring this as a potential career change.  It’s never too late to try to explore making changes, whether big or small, in your life.  Try and explore something new that you have always been interested in, but have just “never gotten around to”.  You may be surprised not only with what you will learn, but more importantly, what you will learn about yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment