Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Winnipeg Jets v. Calgary Flames...Hometown Girl




I grew up in Winnipeg, and I was a huge fan of hockey and the Winnipeg Jets.  I remember hearing the news years ago that the Jets were leaving Winnipeg and had been bought by Phoenix.  I was so sad to see our city lose our NHL franchise.  Winnipeg had so much team spirit, I know there were many disappointed fans and many broken hearts about losing the Jets.  It had always been so much fun to go and see a game, and cheer on the home town team.  I ended up moving to Calgary shortly after this, and I was so happy to have a hockey team to cheer for again.  I became a Flames fan, and bought a Flames Jersey, as I no longer had a “home town team” to cheer for.

This last year, I was so excited when I heard that the Jets were coming back to Winnipeg!  But of course, this created a dilemna for me:  who do I cheer for?  Am I the home town girl, or the new town girl?  I think I will just make it easy, and cheer for both teams, and that will solve this problem for now.  However, not sure what I will do if they end up going head to head in the play-offs!  I guess the good thing about this would be that no matter which team would win, I would be happy either way.  Why not show some team spirit, and check out a local sporting event in your city?  It’s a great place to meet people and makes for a great night out!  Go Jets/Flames Go!   

No comments:

Post a Comment