Monday, March 05, 2012

Acting Dreams Can Come True...Just Add A Little "Class"


My First Time...Acting In A Scene From A Play

Acting Dreams Can Come True...Just Add A Little "Class"


I recently took an acting class from a local theatre school called “Essentials of Acting – Scene Study”.  This course covered a wide variety of topics, including improvisation, scene analysis, and character development.  It also provided a great overview of what you can do as an actor to make your performance a memorable and inspiring one.  I had a lot of fun developing my character and watching the scene I worked on evolve and grow.  I learned so much from the “cold reads” on the first day, to the final performance on the last day of class.  It was fun seeing it all come together at the end, complete with the set and wardrobe adding its part to bring it all to life.

Not only did I learn a lot, I also had a lot of fun.  I was able to “pretend”, something I think we all loved to do when we were little, but don’t get the opportunity to do very often as “grown-ups”.  I remember thinking that if someone was outside and looking in on the improvisational warm-up activities we did at the beginning of class, they would no doubt get a good laugh, wondering what on earth we were doing.   Even if you are not interested in seriously pursuing acting, I think a class like this not only helps you discover new things about yourself, but also is a great way to develop self-confidence in a group setting.  There is no judgment here, so it is the perfect place to help you come out of your shell.  I laughed so much, learned a lot about myself, and met some amazing people.

No comments:

Post a Comment